Monday, May 31, 2004

A Holiday in the Homeland

Finally got back from my Memorial Day weekend in Brownsville and South Padre Island after a 7-hour drive with 4 stops and some unnecessary traffic in Odem. The family was throwing a wedding shower for my Fiance and I and some excited guests were going to join in the fun. Lyndsey's parents, 3 of her grandparents, 2 of her college friends, plus my parents, my brother and his wife made for a multi-generational family First for me! My visits back home to Brownsville are now more like vacations. We always make sure to eat at Antonio's, Garcia's in Matamoros, Mexico, or Bigo's, or The Toddle Inn, and if we get to the Island, the Sea Ranch is our seafood of choice. Lyndsey's folks were able to score a condo at the Sunchase IV (one of the greatest buildings on the island)ending a 2 1/2 year drought for me of actually staying out there. Activities were plentiful, timing sporadic, and communication abrupt; all the usual complications that surround 'Griswold-style' family events. In the end, I had a great time seeing everyone, swimming at the beach, eating my favorite meals, and finally getting the boot clipped onto my back tire after many years of illegal overnight condominium parking.

No comments: