Tuesday, June 1, 2004

Saved by the Bell: New Reflections

A couple weeks ago the 3rd and 4th seasons of Saved by the Bell were released on DVD. Since I'm on a DVD freeze, I chose not to buy it, and instead broke out the 1st and 2nd season I bought last year to fulfill my SBTB addiction. The first season did in fact have Kelly, Slater, and Jesse; in addition to Zack, Lisa, and Screech; not to be confused with Good Morning, Miss Bliss - when the latter were in junior high. Watching the episodes back to back I've gained a new found respect and love for the show. Sometimes great writing and fun character developments in a fairly standard formula for the show, with tons of side characters and simplistic sets. I noticed for the first time that each of their bedrooms were the SAME SET, just with new paint and a different decor....also, that we never see Slater's room, only the garage when he gets his first car. Why not? Amazingly, the actor with the most challenging opportunities - dramatic and comedic - is Dustin Diamond, a.k.a. Samuel 'Screech' Powers! Unbelievable. He gets the best lines, the most physical stunts, and challenges Zack for the most screen time! And all he's ever done since were derivations of the SBTB series like The College Years and The New Class where Screech was Mr. Belding's assistant. Now he's used as a pop culture reference in films like "Made" and "Dickie Roberts"; not nearly the high profile career the others have had. Unbelievable indeed. Favorite episodes include The Mamas and the Papas (where they're married for a class project), Screech's Birthday (with a hilarious recording of the Hall Monitor's voice), and Miss Bayside (Screech competes in the beauty pageant). I guess if I see it on sale, I might just have to get the 3rd and 4th seasons. Next to Seinfeld, it's the only television series I'd buy on DVD anyway.

No comments: