Saturday, June 18, 2005

Beginnings and Endings.

Summer films are always filled with sequels, prequels, and somewhere-in-betweenquels. Luckily, I've been able to catch 2 of the big ones. "Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" completes the new trilogy, confirming the creation of Darth Vader, and finishing the 6-film landmark saga. This film is emotionally heavy, action-packed, and filled with darkness; in turn, making it the best of the prequels. Everyone takes their acting up a level, except for Natalie Portman, and especially Ian McDiarmind as Senator Palpatine/Darth Sidious. Everything comes full circle and blends into Episode IV without a hitch. The only question that remains is, in what order are we going to show our kids?

"Batman Begins" resurrects a dying comic book favorite from neon hell with a new star, new director, and everything in between. This film is absolutely brilliant. Roger Ebert was right on the money when he said, "This is the movie I did not realize I was waiting for." The history, the skills, the Wayne family, all the who-what-where-when-why are here without question as to the creation of Batman, and I believe it. Christopher Nolan and David Goyer convinced me. Christian Bale as the new masked avenger convinced me, and I've never been more excited about the character. This new Batman is emotionally heavy, action-packed, and filled with darkness; do we see any similarities? I'll probably write the same thing for Spielberg's "War of the Worlds."

No comments: