Thursday, January 27, 2005

Movie Break.

I'd like to take a moment here to talk about the recent Academy Award nominations. In my history of film appreciation, I have never missed so many films in one year as I have in 2004. I've always looked forward to the awards season from nominations to online contests and finally the show itself. This year, I don't feel like I can honestly say anthing should win because I haven't seen anything! In fact, let me mention it one more time, I haven't seen any of the big nominated films this year. From the top nominees, I've only seen one, "Sideways." This was a fantastic film, also a hilarious book, and I will pick up the DVD when it comes out, but it won't win Best Picture...probably just the screenwriting nomination. "Million Dollar Baby", "Finding Neverland", "Ray", "The Aviator", "Closer", "Hotel Rwanda", "The Incredibles", and "The Passion of the Christ" are all big movies this year that I've missed. Thankfully 2 of my favorites this year made some of the categories, "Collateral" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." Perhaps I'll still be able to catch at least The Aviator before the big show. Props go to Jamie Foxx, Natalie Portman, Brad Bird, "Super Size Me", and Thomas Haden Church...hope some of you win next month. For a complete listing, go to www.oscars.org.

No comments: