Monday, January 21, 2008

Posters, suite.


I haven't seen 27 movies this year, but I did see a woman try on "27 Dresses" in one night, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Maybe it was the pitcher of Shiner I shared with my brother (our wives sitting between us), or maybe it was the subtle cliche twists sprinkled throughout the film that made me enjoy it. Actually, it was the end credit sequence that really kept me thinking about the film after I left the theater. Fun, well written newspaper headlines & photos act as an epilogue to the film in a well designed manner. Then I saw the handwritten movie poster in the hallway gallery and a slight nod of appreciation glimmered across my face. Ahh, the movie poster. I remember I used to hit the theaters early in high school to take a walk around the place and check out the latest slew of movie art. From the Saul Bass days of old, to the Chip Kidd artwork for "Jurassic Park", to the heavily produced, double-sided, backlit, 4-color glossies of today, movie posters still have a lot to say about what they're selling. Even the Apple Quicktime movie trailer site has stuck to a poster gallery format for their movie trailer display. It's where I go to catch up on my trailers, since I only hit the theater 4 times a year now. Here are a few that caught my eye. And although the poster for Disney/Pixar's WALL•E is simply a character portrait, you can see the joy, naivete, and curiosity that is contained in what will be 2008's most beloved character; not unlike the successful portrait of Steve Carell in "The 40-Year Old Virgin."

No comments: