Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Wedding Invitations.

Invitation: A spoken or written request for someone's presence or participation (dictionary.com) Wedding guides will tell you that their are all kinds of rules and regulations to follow in order to have a successful and well-minded wedding; and so will your Bride. Depending on the person, or family, some are no-brainers, easy to follow and take no time to plan. Others become socially questionable, politically motivated, emotionally charged water balloons exponentially expanding until the pinnacle moment of combustion. This is where wedding invitations fall. Deadlines, text, the invitation itself, response cards, maps, stamps, order of operation, and who makes the list? Feelings of warmth and joy over seeing close family and friends share in this wonderful event become filled with greed, envy, selfishness, and arrogance. Someone will ask, "When was the last time we heard from these guys?" instead of, "I can't wait to see them again!" And there is always the, "You have to invite them, they won't come, but you have to invite them, they invited us to their child's wedding." To which I respond, "I don't care, I haven't spoken to them in 15 years!" I mean...someone responds with that. And why do these questions only come from the groom's side of the family? My Idiot's Guide to Being a Groom mentions nothing of the sort. But I've figured it out. I know how to solve this, and it all starts at the very beginning, with the most infamous of wedding questions, "What kind of wedding are you having?" Usually two answers, small or large? Lyndsey and I chose medium, but we should have said SMALL, regardless. This lets everyone off the hook, immediate friends and family only, and when others somehow receive invites in the mail - Everyone is Happy, or so I would hope.

No comments: